Every Blood Test Felt Like an Exam: My Journey After Bone Marrow Transplant

 When Every Blood Test Felt Like an Exam Result

There are seasons in life when every day feels like an examination. For me, the period after my bone marrow transplant was one such season. After my transplant was successful, I was advised to come for review three days every week. Every review day began early. Before 9 in the morning, I had to give my blood sample. After that, I would have my central-line dressing and then wait for the blood test results. Usually, the results would come around 1 P.M.

Those few hours felt almost like waiting for an exam result.

I would be thinking:

Will everything be normal? Will I be able to go home today? Or will I have to stay in the hospital?

If all the blood values were normal, I could go home.

But if there was any variation or concern, I would have to be admitted. And once admitted, I would not know how many days I would have to stay.

The Uncertainty Was Difficult

My husband would accompany me for these reviews. At home, my little Isaac, who was about three years old, would be waiting for me. Every time I left home, I carried a question in my heart:

Will I go back home and see my little Isaac today, or will I have to stay in the hospital?

That uncertainty was one of the hardest parts of the journey. 

One day, we went for the usual review. I gave my blood sample, had my central-line dressing and waited for the results. When the report came, my sodium was low, my potassium was low, and I had developed a fever. The doctor told me that I needed to be admitted.

We were not prepared for an admission. We had not brought the things we needed. The hospital gave us a room, and my husband went back home to collect everything. But neither of us knew how long we would be there.

Almost Fifteen Days in the Hospital

The fever did not come down immediately. The doctors performed many tests to find out what was causing it. My sodium level became normal, and my potassium level also returned to normal. Then I developed a severe cold and cough, which was also treated.

One test followed another. The doctors were trying to control the fever and understand its cause. Thankfully, the tests did not show any major problem. But the cause of the fever was still not known. I remained in the hospital for almost 15 days.

Then finally, the doctor told me,

“We will discharge you today.”

It was such a relief. We went home. But our journey was not finished.

Another Blood Test, Another Unexpected Result

About two weeks later, another blood test showed that my platelets were very low. This time, I did not need to be admitted, but I needed a platelet transfusion. It was during the COVID period, so it was not easy to bring people into the hospital. My husband went and donated his platelets, and I received the transfusion. While I was there, I met another post-BMT patient named Reshma. She was receiving a blood transfusion while I was receiving platelets.

During our conversation, I said something like,

“We should introduce ourselves as blood cancer patients.”

She immediately corrected me.

“Akka, don't say blood cancer patients. We are blood cancer survivors.”

That sentence stayed with me.

Blood cancer survivors.

Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!


What a beautiful way to look at ourselves. We had gone through something difficult, but we were still here. We were survivors.

Just When We Were About to Leave

After our transfusions were completed, Reshma left with her mother. My husband and I were waiting to finish the payment formalities. After about half an hour, we were getting ready to leave. Our driver was also preparing to start the car.

Then suddenly, I began to shiver. It had started raining, and the shivering became stronger. We realized that I needed to be admitted again. It was around 6 in the evening.

The hospital staff were changing shifts, and there was no one immediately available to bring a wheelchair for me. I was already feeling very weak and was shivering badly.

Then our driver came forward and said, “Come, I will take you.”

He helped me. He also helped my husband. He took me inside in the wheel chair. At that moment, I didn't even have a bedsheet. Then another unexpected act of kindness happened. An attendant who was there with another patient noticed me and said,

“Don't worry. I will give you a bedsheet.”

She brought two for me. That simple act touched me deeply.

At a time when I was cold, frightened and helpless, someone who did not even know me saw my need and helped me. I began to realize that perhaps there was a greater lesson hidden in all these experiences.

I had been thinking about blood reports.

I had been thinking about admissions and discharges.

I had been thinking about whether I would see Isaac that evening.

But slowly, I was beginning to see something else.

God was taking care of me in ways I had not expected. And that became one of the greatest lessons of my journey.

I did not know what each blood test would bring. I did not know whether I would go home or remain in the hospital. But I was slowly learning that even when I did not know what was coming next, God was already there.

A Word of Encouragement

If you are living through a season of uncertainty, remember that you don't have to understand everything at once.

Take one day at a time.

Take one test at a time.

Take one step at a time.

And when tomorrow feels frightening, place it in God's hands.

You may not know what the next report will say, but you can trust the One who already knows your tomorrow.

If this part of my testimony encouraged you, please share it with someone who is waiting, worried or going through a difficult season. ❤️

“The Lord is my shepherd; I lack nothing.” — Psalm 23:1

Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Thank You for Reading ❤️

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story.

God bless you and your family abundantly. ❤️

With love and prayers,
Sumathi Dinesh

Comments

  1. Oh my God..... what a journey and the word of encouragement is absolutely stunning.... We don't know what tomorrow brings, but Jesus was already there ..
    Praise be to God who strengthened you to write this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really very much encouraging and useful. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful thing of life to learn and live. Praise be to our wonder-working God alone, ma. Love you💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Mamma, Where Is Your Hair?” | My Journey from Illness to God’s Grace

The Miracle Power Inside You That Can Change Your Life Forever—Most People Never Discover It

God Makes the Impossible Possible: Inspiring Real-Life Miracles That Strengthen Faith